There have been three buildings called Mar Lodge. The first near the present lodge was built in the 18th Century by William Duff, Lord Braco, a moneylender who bought his Irish titles, a man who had acquired the estate in the 1730's. This building was so badly damaged by the 'Muckle Spate' (great flood) of 1829 that it had to be demolished. The second lodge built at the top of the Mar Lodge Brae was a typically Victorian confection known colloquially as Corriemulzie Cottage. This lodge was destroyed by a fire in 1894.
The third Mar Lodge was built between 1895 and 1898 for Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife and his wife, Princess Louise, Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife. The foundation stone was laid by the princess's grandmother, Queen Victoria on 15th October 1895.The architect was Alexander Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933) who designed the building in the neo-Elizabethan style in the accordance with the wishes of the Duchess. While many of the rooms are wood paneled and covered with hunting trophies, the Duchess's apartments are decorated in the neo-classical style.
In the 20th Century the Fife's disposed of the house and the estate which were both eventually purchased with National Lottery Heritage money by the National Trust who manage the lodge as a wedding venue.