In 1577 the upper storey and roof were altered and the elaborate dormer windows added that give Castle Menzies its distinctive appearance. The completed building is a classic example of a Z-plan castle that represents the transition between from a fortified tower-house built for defence and a mansion designed for domestic comfort and display.
Arms of Sir Neil Menzies and his wife Grace Conyers Norton (1840)
above the 19th porch
The Great Hall
Earlier hopes of peace in the Highlands were dashed when the Civil War broke out. The Menzies clan fought against James Graham, Marquis of Montrose. The chief of Clan Menzies was killed in a skirmish and his son died at the battle of Inverlochy in 1645. Castle Menzies was occupied by General Monck in the 1650's but the family fortunes rose again when they were created Baronets of Nova Scotia in 1665.
The chief of Clan Menzies did not support the Jacobite Risings, and Castle Menzies was captured and occupied by Jacobites in 1715. Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed here for two nights in 1746, but four days later the castle was occupied by the Hanoverian forces led by the Duke of Cumberland. In January 1746 the Jacobite army withdrew from the siege of Stirling Castle to Crieff where it divided into two parts, the low landers and cavalry under Lord George Murray to proceed to Inverness along the coast and the clans, led by the Prince, to move north over the mountains. The Prince and his troops left Crieff for Aberfeldy and crossed the Tay by General Wade's bridge constructed less than twenty years earlier. Even though the then Menzies Chief, Sir Robert Menzies of Menzies had refused to participate in the rebellion he offered the Prince his hospitality who stayed at Castle Menzies on 4th and 5th February before going on to Blair Castle.
Prince Charlie's Room
The last of the Menzies of Weem died in 1918. Castle Menzies was used by Polish forces during WW2 after which it became derelict, but was restored and is now cared for by the Clan Menzies Society who acquired the building in 1957.