Sunday, 24 November 2013
House of Falkland, Stables
The first thing that John Bruce did after he bought the Falkland estate in 1820 was to build himself new stables. In the traditional courtyard plan, with a clock tower over the entrance they are the work of architect John Swinton and were completed in 1823. The stalls are the last word in equine luxury, finest wrought iron fittings, beautifully cobbled floors, finished with porcelain tiles. No longer used for keeping horses the quality of the equine accommodation is acknowledged and conserved by the current occupants of the building, the Falkland Heritage Trust.