Saturday, 10 January 2015

Doocote, Inveraray

Roger Morris, architect of Inveraray Castle for the 3rd Duke of Argyll drew up a contract on 2nd October 1747 'for a pigeon house to be built at the end of the back walk being a Circular building 20' Diam. & 42' high......for which he is to be paid Fourty  Eight pounds Ster.'



The whitewashed circular doocote has a rusticated entrance and a conical roof with a chimney on top.