Sunday, 26 January 2014

Mauldslie Castle, West Lodge

Mauldslie Castle was built in an idyllic riverside setting beside the Clyde near Carluke in Lanarkshire. The castle was built and designed for Thomas Carmichael, the 5th Earl of Hyndford by Robert Adam 1792-3' After he castle and estate were purchased by James Hozier in 1850  the castle was enlarged and remodelled by architect Daid Bryce in the Scots Baronial style in 1860. His grandson was elevated to the peerage as Lord Newlands in 1898. The family put the castle up for sale in 1930,  it was demolished in 1935 and a sewage works now occupies the site.


The West Lodge and the private  Bridge over the Clyde were built in 1861, probably by David Bryce to form the principal entrance to the estate.


The seated dog motif.


Since the castle was demolished, from being an entrance, the West Lodge now acts as a memorial.